You may have noticed some business pages on Facebook are showing a small ‘tick’ next to their name. Find out more about this feature and how to do it yourself.
What is this and how do I get one?
A few years back, Facebook rolled out a new feature for Pages that are under the Local Business or Company/Organisation categories that allow you to ‘verify’ your page, similar to the verification process on Google Places and Yelp. Facebook gives Verified Pages a tick to show your audience that you are authentic.
Why did they do this, and why should I bother?
If Facebook’s reason for bringing in verification is anything like the reasoning behind Google Places or Yelp’s verification, then this has been brought in to ensure that pages on Facebook are managed by people actually in the business or connected to them (such as your digital agency or marketing team).
Verification may also help reduce the instance of “fake pages”, created as an attempt by third parties to pass off as your business – this isn’t that common, and none of our clients have had this happen to them, but as Facebook continues to grow its offering for businesses, it doesn’t hurt to cover your bases and complete the verification – your competitors most likely will!
The reasons that Facebook have given:
- Verified Pages appear higher in search results and attract more visitors
- Get a verified badge to let visitors know the Page is authentic
- Get early access to new features
This supports the theory that Facebook are wanting their site to be used as much more than just a social network. Here’s how you can verify your Page in just a few minutes…
- Go to your business page
- Click on ‘Settings’ at the top right of your page
- Under ‘General Settings’, click ‘Edit’ next to the Page Verification field, followed by ‘Verify this Page’.
- Click ‘Get Started’, ensure the phone number provided on Facebook is correct, and hit ‘Call Me Now’. You can also verify using a utility bill or other document showing the business name and address if phone verification doesn’t work for you.
- You will receive an automated call from Facebook giving you your verification code. Put this into the corresponding field on Facebook to complete the verification process.
- Voila! Your Page is verified and the badge will appear on your page. That’s all it takes 🙂
Click the images below to enlarge:
Invalid Displayed Gallery
If you need help verifying your page, or just some general advice about your social media marketing, give us a call on (07) 5531 3810.