Four weeks ’til Christmas! Woo-hoo!
That means it’s time for our second set of tips for getting the most out of your website and online marketing activities. This time we’re talking email.
e-CBD’s top 11 tips for email marketing
- Do some email marketing! It might seem obvious, but of the 700+ clients we’ve worked with in the last decade, only 10% of them have ever done any email marketing. Which is crazy because email marketing works incredibly well. It doesn’t have to be a regular newsletter, even one e-Christmas card a year is a good start. People like to know you care about them and sending them a letter is one of the best ways of showing them some love.
- Make it about them, not you. 294 billion emails are sent each day. That’s about 50 for every human being. If you want people to notice you, give them something they can use. Even if you think you’re boring, you can always throw in a joke at the end. Don’t just waffle on about yourself.
- The best email marketing isn’t email marketing. You need to make it personal. Don’t be lazy and send a bulk email if you can send something unique for each recipient. Look at your list and consider whether there’s a personal message, or a helping hand you can lend each individual. That’ll be far more effective then a bulk email.
- Sell the email in the subject line. If the subject line doesn’t make people go ‘Oh my gosh, I HAVE to read this email’, they won’t. Marketing consultant Jeff Bulla recently wrote a great article about creating blog posts that beg to be read – the tips there are exactly the same for email. Questions, quotes and intriguing stories are at the top of the list for engaging content.
- Keep it snappy. People get bored easily. They don’t have time to read. Shorter usually equals better. Link off to your website if you need to go into more detail.
- Pictures are pretty.
- People hate scrolling. Include a table of contents at the top and link the headings through to that section on the page.
- Include a call to action.
- If you know their name, use it! It’s easy to mail merge a name into a template. As Dale Carnegie, author of How to Win Friends and Influence People said, “Remember that a man’s name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in the English language.” Same goes for women.
- Don’t spam. Australia has strict anti-spam legislation. Follow it, or you’ll get a fine.
- Send your message on Tuesday at lunchtime. That’s when most people are reading email!
Show me some examples of great newsletters!
- We produce email newsletters for The Leukaemia Foundation, they are a great all-round example of what to do
- Popular mail programs Campaign Monitor and Mail Chimp also have some amazing galleries and advice booklets which are well worth reading.
Want email marketing help? Want a Christmas newsletter designed?
Sweet, call us, we can help. Our number is 1300 733 088 for advice (or just hit us up with a reply to this email).
What’s the next tip?
Next week we’ll tell you everything you need to know about setting up a Facebook business page!
Marilyn, Matt and the e-CBD team